ILOILO CITY, Philippines (PNA) — The newly-constructed Camanggahan Bridge in Guimbal, Iloilo will now open to traffic effective Friday, according to the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) here. On Thursday, DPWH regional director Evelyn T. Barroso ordered that the P150 million project be opened to the public following the completion of its major works.
To recall the first phase of the 150-lineal meter bridge project was completed in April 2009 which amounted to P60 million. Last year, the additional P90 million needed for the completion of the project was released. Engr. Marilyn Celiz, chief of the construction division of the DPWH here, said they are currently working on minor details, specifically the slope protection works but as a whole the bridge is ready to accommodate public transport.
Aklan open to solar power
KALIBO, Aklan, (PNA) — Aklan Governor Carlito Marquez said that the provincial government is opening its door to all solar power suppliers in the country interested in installing solar power to the Dr. Rafael S. Tumbukon Memorial Hospital (DRSTMH). Marquez said that this announcement is to encourage solar power companies to send proposals to the Aklan provincial government for their bidding.
"It has been my dream to make the Aklan provincial hospital be energized by solar power. Not only is it safe, but it is also a cheap form of energy in the long run. We want the Aklan provincial hospital to be the first hospital in the country energized by solar power," Marquez said.
Bacolod prepares OFW job program
BACOLOD CITY — Considering the plight of Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), Bacolod City Mayor Evelio Leonardia has directed the Public Employment Office (PESO) to prepare scheme so that the OFWs will not turn empty when they come home for good.
According to Executive assistant Moises dela Cruz, head of PESO, in Saudi alone, there are 1.5 million OFWs, wherein 5,000 of them are from Bacolod. He said, they have started organizing the OFWs and dependents in different barangays of the city, and made some arrangements with Overseas Workers Welfare Association (OWWA). (Edith Colmo)
Vegetable congress
DUMAGUETE CITY, Negros Oriental — In its bid to address the pressing issues and concerns on vegetable production, marketing and other relevant concerns, the Philippine Vegetable Industry Development Board (PVIDP) in partnership with the Cebu–Negros Oriental Integrated Vegetable Upland Development Council (CNORIVUDC) and the Regional Agriculture and Fishery Council is expecting some 500 participants to join this year’s 9th National Vegetable Congress. (Phoebe Jen Indino)
Fire victims get financial aid
CEBU CITY — In line with the recent fire incidents that affected two barangays in this city, South District Representative Tomas Osmeña together with his wife Cebu City Councilor Margarita “Margot” Osmeña and the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), Field Office-7, distributed cash assistance amounting to P459,000 to the fire victims of barangay Mambaling and Tejero.
Jaybee Binghay, DSWD 7 regional information officer bared that the financial assistance benefited a total of 227 fire victims of the two barangays. (Phoebe Indino)