TACLOBAN CITY, Philippines – Traders in the province of Leyte and in Region 8 as a whole were guaranteed of a business ecosystem that would allow industries and economies to thrive and prosper. Leyte Gov. Carlos Jericho Petilla made this assurance during the 1st Eastern Visayas Chamber of Commerce and Industry Conference.
The governor, who spoke during the opening of the conference, said local government units should only remain a catalyst in bringing new businesses to the countryside, and should not become the entrepreneurs themselves and compete with the private sector. “I always maintain that the government is a ‘bad businessman". (Jack Gadaingan)
Dengue decrease
ILOILO CITY—The number of dengue cases in Iloilo province has drastically decreased by 1,229 percent. Iloilo Gov. Arthur Defensor Sr. said the provincial government’s program of continuous clean-up drive was instrumental in decreasing the number of dengue cases this year as compared to 2010 when Iloilo was under a state of calamity.
This year, the Provincial Epidemiology Surveillance Unit (PESU) recorded 377 dengue cases with 5 deaths during the period of January 1 to September 3. In the same period last year, there were 5,012 cases and 27 deaths. (Tara Yap)
Transmission project
TAGBILARAN CITY, Bohol (PNA) -- The National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) launched on Thursday morning the Bohol Backbone Transmission Project with the groundbreaking and time capsule-laying ceremonies for its 5.5-hectare substation site in Barangay Sambog, Corella town, some 10 kilometers north from here.
The project involves the expansion of Ubay substation and the construction of the new Corella substation with power system protection. Governor Edgar Chatto said the project will ensure stable and reliable power supply in the province to cater to the growing demand.
Housing fund
DUMAGUETE CITY (PNA) – The city government of Dumaguete received on Thursday a funding of P4.2 million from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) for the construction of a low-cost housing project intended for 60 families who were displaced by flash floods in previous years.
DSWD-7 Regional Director Evelyn Macapobre handed over the check to Mayor Manuel Sagarbarria at his office at City Hall, in the presence of City Social Welfare Officer Marina Mendoza and other city officials. Mendoza said the beneficiaries to the housing project are those whose houses were totally washed out during the flooding incidents last in December 2008 and on February 7, 2009.
No worries
ILOILO CITY—The Iloilo Business Club (IBC) remains optimistic on the business and investment prospects for Iloilo City despite reports on recent criminalities. “We are not worried,” said IBC executive director Lea Lara, adding that the situation was not alarming to the degree that it is creating fear among business leaders and entrepreneurs.
But she urged the Iloilo City Police Office (ICPO) to swiftly resolve criminal cases while strengthening anti-criminality operations. (Tara Yap)