DUMAGUETE CITY, Negros Oriental, Philippines (PIA) - Nine contingents from different towns and cities will compete at the grand "festival of festivals" and street dancing showdown – the highlights of Negros Oriental’s Buglasan Festival - on October 21.
Said Festival is Negros Oriental’s provincial fiesta born in 1981 when a search was conducted to compose a contingent that would represent Negros Oriental in the then Folk Arts Theater Festival. This year, it will be held at 8 A.M. at the Lamberto Macias Sports Center, while the street dance competition will be held at 2:00 P.M. around the city’s main thoroughfares.
Barangays flooded
ROXAS CITY, Capiz (PNA) – The flashflood as a result of typhoon Ramon last week destroyed P50,000 worth of property in Roxas City. City government data showed that 44 barangays in the city were flooded, displacing 12,234 families involving some 61,170 individuals.
Roxas City’s Social Welfare and Development Office has distributed such emergency relief assistance as three kilos of rice, five cans of sardines and noodles for each family affected in some flooded barangays. Another 2,270 families involving 7,381 persons in 11 Capiz towns - Pan-ay, Pontevedra, President Roxas, Pilar, Panit-an, Maayon, Ivisan, Sigma, Mambusao, Sapian and Dao - were also affected by flashfloods.
Regional museum
ILOILO CITY, Iloilo (PIA) - Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor, Sr. said the old Iloilo Provincial Jail will become part of the city and province of Iloilo’s tourist attraction once it is rehabilitated and turned into a Regional Museum. The old jail, which was abandoned in 2006 after inmates were transferred to the new provincial jail in Pototatan town, is situated between the new and old Iloilo Capitol building.
Defensor said he has spoken with the National Historical Institute about the project and the NHI’s architect will make the plan which includes retention of the old jail’s façade. “Our present museum is small and could not accommodate all the mementoes of historical events, artifacts, and other treasures of Iloilo,” said Defensor.
DoLE-8’s vision
MAASIN CITY, Southern Leyte (PIA) - A comprehensive listing of manpower skills available in every barangay in this city will soon be seen in just a click, a visionary move that the Department of Labor and Employment (DoLE) in Region 8, along with the province’s Public Employment Service Office (PESO) and local government units here wanted to realize and put into practical use.
“The Skills Registry System (SRS) can be used as an employment facilitation center,” said DoLE Regional Director Forter Poguon.
Media liaison
BACOLOD CITY, Negros Occ. - Radio Mindanao Network (RMN) DYHB Radyo Agong- Bacolod reporters Virgilio Maro and Kid Embang facilitated the surrender of Eldro Canannia Montargo, alias Ka James of Toboso, Negros Occidental, turning the latter over to Sagay City-based 62nd Infantry Battalion commander Lt. Col. Jose Ely Alberto recently.
Ka James, who is the assistant squad leader of the New People’s Army’s Toboso-based Motorola Platoon/Squad 3, said he asked the help of the Radyo Agong reporters to facilitate his coming back to the social mainstream as he wants to live normal life, specially since he plans to get married to his girlfriend who does not belong to the NPA. (Edith B. Colmo)