CEBU CITY (PNA) — Bohol Province will replicate the R702-million bulk water supply project of the Cebu provincial government. Cebu Gov. Gwen Garcia was in Bohol Wednesday to hand documents on the Cebu bulk water project to Bohol Gov. Edgar Chatto. Members of the Bohol Provincial Planning and Development Office are in Cebu to coordinate with their counterparts regarding the project, which will be implemented under a design-build-finance-operate scheme. Under the joint investment agreement, the Cebu Provincial Government will put up 49 percent of the total investment, while Manila Water Co. (MWC) will put up the remaining 51 percent.
CLEANUP DRIVE
ILOILO CITY, Iloilo — The Department of Health (DOH-6) has urged for a continuous cleanup drive to curb the number of dengue fever cases in Western Visayas. Dr. Joji Jimenez, DOH-6 dengue medical coordinator, emphasized the need to continue cleaning to avoid the emergence of breeding places of mosquitoes after dengue cases in the region rose. DOH-6 recorded 1,626 cases and 28 deaths recorded from January 1 to June 2, 2012. Jimenez said the rising number of cases is not yet alarming, but considerably higher by approximately 500 cases from the same period of last year. (Tara Yap)
POLICE PROGRAM
ILOILO CITY (PNA) -- The Aklan Provincial Police Office (APPO) kicked off its PNP (Philippine National Police) Weight Loss Program Thursday afternoon at Camp Pastor Martelino in New Buswang, Kalibo, Aklan. The program is part of the PNP’s health awareness campaign and Pulis Pangkalusugan program. APPO provincial director Senior Supt. Cornelio Defensor said the weight loss challenge aims to help overweight PNP members provide quality and efficient public service, especially in conducting hot pursuit operations.
BRIDGE REPAIR
CEBU CITY (PNA) — The repair of the Marcelo B. Fernan Bridge may be completed by the third week of July, if no problem — like bad weather — gets in the way, an official said. Based on the original schedule, the Department of Public Work and Highways (DPWH) 7 will finish repair works on the 12-year-old bridge by August 30. But Assistant District Engineer Renult Ricardo of the DPWH 7’s 6TH District Engineering Office said they will likely finish the repair ahead of schedule.They are now in the third phase of the repair, and may proceed with the fourth phase next week. At present, the outer lane from Mandaue City to Lapu-Lapu City is closed to traffic.
HINTERLAND ROADS
CEBU CITY (PNA) — Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama turned over Thursday newly concreted roads costing R27.7 million to nine barangays, mostly in the city’s hinterland areas. Based on Cebu City Hall records, the mountain barangays getting new and well-paved roads include Buhisan, R3.29 million; Toong, R3.2 million; Pamutan, R4.6 million; and Kalunasan, R2.7 million, all in the south district. For the north district, they include Barangays Pit-os, R3 million; Binaliw, R3 million; Agsungot, R494,821; Guba, R3 million; and Sirao, R3.3 million. Funds for the projects were taken from the R100-million road concreting budget that was appropriated for capital outlay under the City’s Department of Engineering and Public works.