CEBU CITY – This city’s dynamic information, communication, and technology (ICT) sector is evident with the presence of more high-value outsourcing companies that expressed interest to locate here this year. Cebu Investment and Promotions Center managing director Joel Mari S. Yu said that as of 2012, the industry has seen the entry of 17 new IT and IT-enabled firms in this city last year that registered with the Philippine Economic Zone Authority (PEZA). “As of this date, we know of at least five companies which are still in the process of preparing their documentation to establish business here and may eventually set up in the early part of this year,” Yu reported. (Malou Mozo)
SPORTS COMPLEX
CEBU CITY (PNA) – The Cebu City Sports Center, an 18-year-old sports complex, finally underwent an all-important facelift in 2012. With its track oval oozing melted rubber from the cracks, it had become a safety hazard to the running public and elite athletes. It was closed for months as a P26-million renovation was being done. In April, it was finally reopened with Cebu’s hosting of the Private Schools Athletic Association National Collegiate games. Later in the year, the football field was also renovated for Cebu’s hosting of the international friendly between the Philippine National Team and the Singapore Lions.
WEATHER UPDATE
ILOILO CITY (PNA) – The Office of Civil Defense (OCD) and the Regional Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (RDRRMC) on Thursday urged the public to strictly monitor the movement of tropical depression “Auring.” Rosario Cabrera, OCD regional director and RDRRMC executive director, said that while the path of the tropical depression is situated at the lower portion of Western Visayas, it is still important that they monitor the weather so they could take “appropriate actions.” Western Visayas, particularly the provinces of Aklan, Capiz, and Iloilo are still in relief operations mode.
MANGROVE PROGRAM
OTON, Iloilo (PNA) – Two local government units in Iloilo are recipients of fund from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) that will be utilized for the removal, transfer, transplanting, and pruning of mangroves in their respective areas. The city government here received P2.929 million, while Oton town got P2.077 million. The release was in line with the directive of DENR Region-6 Director Adeluisa G. Siapno to hasten the delivery and accomplishment of the various programs and projects of the office, particularly in the rehabilitation, protection, and preservation of the Iloilo River.
NEW DIRECTOR
CEBU CITY – Starting next Friday, the Region 7 office of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD-7) will have a new regional director in the person of Mercedita P. Jabagat, who will replace Ma. Evelyn Macapobre. Prior to her stint here, Jabagat held office in the Caraga Region, which covered the provinces of Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Surigao del Norte, Surigao del Sur, and Dinagat Islands. “All the past years, the media was very instrumental in achieving successful implementation and delivery of services and programs of DSWD Field Office 7,” Macapobre said. (Phoebe Jen Indino)