Visayas Newsbits for August 5, 2014 | Manila Bulletin | Latest Breaking News | News Philippines
Natural Disaster
Home  » News » Provincial » Visayas Newsbits for August 5, 2014

Visayas Newsbits for August 5, 2014

RCO-TACLOBAN RESUMES NORMAL OPERATIONS

Tacloban, Leyte (PIA) – The Department of Foreign Affairs announced  that its Regional Consular Office in Tacloban (RCO-Tacloban) has resumed normal operations and is now located at Leyte SMED Center, Provincial Capitol Grounds, Sen. Enage St., Tacloban City. It may be reached via telephone number (053) 321-8233. Office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., from Monday to Friday. Those who filed e-Passport applications with RCO Tacloban before Typhoon Yolanda may claim their e-Passports until September 30, 2014. (DFA)

NEW DRUGS OPERATIONS QUOTA ISSUED

Iloilo City (PNA) – Police stations in Iloilo City Proper, Lapaz, Jaro, Molo, Mandurriao and Arevalo districts under the Iloilo City Police Office (ICPO) were given a new quota under the campaign against illegal drugs dubbed “Oplan Tikma Tiklo.” The campaign requires the Anti-illegal Drug Special Operations Group in each police station district to conduct at least two positive anti-illegal drug operations monthly. Based on a directive by ICPO Director Police Senior Supt. Ruperto Floro, Jr., a suspect must be arrested for positive possession of illegal drugs not just on mere allegation as a notorious drug personality or drug pusher. Police officers failing to implement “Oplan Tikma Tiklo” face relief order or administrative raps. So far, the ICPO has recorded 300 percent positive anti-illegal drug operations from January-June 2014, said ICPO Public Information Officer, Police Supt. Gilbert Gorero. A total of 53 operations resulted in the arrest of 81 persons and the filing of 53 drug cases before the local court here, as compared to only 14 operations resulting in the arrest of 16 persons and the filing of 15 court cases during the same time in 2013.

17 CEBU VILLAGES HIGHLY LANDSLIDE PRONE 

Cebu City (PIA) – Of 28 barangays in Naga City, Cebu, 17 barangays with 26 sitios are critically or highly landslide or flood prone based on 2011 geohazard assessment and mapping using the 1:10,000 scale. .Mine and Geosciences Bureau (MGB-7) Regional Director Loreto Alburo said “our assessment on these barangays affirmed our previous appraisal in 2009 in a scale of 1:50,000, although we now have information on the sitios that may be most likely affected.” Senior Mine and Geosciences Bureau in Region VII (MGB-7) geologists Maria Elena Lupo and Josephine Aleta conducted the four-week assessment in August and September 2011. The eight sitios and barangays with very high landslide susceptibility are Sien, Balirong; Balico, Pangpang, and Tayad-tayad, all in Cantao-an; Badiang, Mainit; Buli, Mayana; Caporing, Patag; and Uling 3, Uling. Ten sitios and barangays with a rating of high to landslides are: Proper Sagrada, Alpaco; Bairan; Naga-Toledo road, Balirong; Township, and Proper, Cantao-an; Ka Lopez to Proper, Cogon; Jaguimit, Spillway, Lanas; Naalad; Tagjaguimit; Tagaytay, Tinaan; Caimito, Kakahoyan 3, and Tambis, all in Uling. As to flooding, eight sitios are highly susceptible: Cueva, Alpaco; Purok 5 and Purok 7, Bairan; Barangay Proper, Inayagan; Langtad; Proper Lutac and Upper Lutac in Lutac; Upper Mainit in Mainit; and Tapon in Tinaan.

DBM PROCUREMENT SERVICE IN SO. LEYTE

DBM opens Southern Leyte procurement outlet

Maasin City, Southern Leyte (PIA) – The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) has opened its procurement service outlet in the province inside the provincial engineering office compound here. In the recent blessing ceremony, DBM Regional Director Imelda Laceras thanked Gov. Roger Mercado and the provincial Board Members for allowing the DBM to have a store in the province. Offices and employees will find ease and comfort with the DBM depot, as prices are 30 to 40 percent lower than in commercial outlets, with the same quality of supplies.