Visayas Newsbits for August 9, 2014 | Manila Bulletin | Latest Breaking News | News Philippines
Natural Disaster
Home  » News » Provincial » Visayas Newsbits for August 9, 2014

Visayas Newsbits for August 9, 2014

HOTLINE FOR LIBYA OFW FAMILIES

Bacolod City – Negrenses who have families in Libya can now avail of free calls through facilities offered by the provincial government. Provincial Administrator Enrique Pinongan said families who need updates “from the embassy and consular office in Libya can proceed to the Public Affairs Division Office at the Capitol.’ Based on reports, 2,000 Filipinos in Libya have signed up for repatriation this week, as the government made preparations to evacuate them by sea or land from the strife-torn North African nation before flying them home via Malta and Tunisia. (Edith B. Colmo)

P650M SET ASIDE FOR TOURISM SITE REPAIR

Cebu City– The Department of Budget and Management (DBM) has set aside P650 million to repair 24 tourist sites (16 in Bohol, eight in Cebu) that were damaged by the 7.2-magnitude earthquake and Typhoon Yolanda last year. Repairs will be undertaken by the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, National Museum, and the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP). Earlier, NHCP Executive Director Ludovico Badoy signed a memorandum of agreement with Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama for the repair of Fort San Pedro, which was established in 1738. (PNA)

PAGCOR DONATES CLASSROOMS IN ILOILO

Lambunao, Iloilo— The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) donated eight classrooms to the two-storey Lambunao National High School (LNHS-East Campus). Mayor Reynor Gonzales said that PAGCOR’s project was part of the 19 new classrooms for high school students of Lambunao inaugurated last August 7. Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. constructed five classrooms; the office of Representative Arthur Defensor Jr. (Iloilo, 3rd District) funded the remaining five. PAGCOR Cristino Naguiat Jr. said this is part of its corporate social responsibility program and that PAGCOR is constructing a total of 50 classrooms for high school students in Balasan, Estancia, Janiuay, Leon, Pototan, and Oton towns in Iloilo province. (Tara Yap)

 CEBU CAPITOL WORKERS TO GET P18T ANNIVERSARY BONUS

Cebu City — The Cebu Provincial government’s 1,500 employees will receive an P18,000 anniversary bonus each as the province celebrated its 445th founding anniversary Wednesday.

Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III said all employees who have been employed since December 31, 2013 shall receive P15,000 each as collective negotiation agreement incentives with the Provincial Employees Association of Cebu Inc., while Capitol employees with at least one year of service as of August 6, 2014 will receive additional P3,000 each. (PNA) LAP/EB)

WOMAN JUMPS OFF MACTAN-CEBU BRIDGE

Mandaue City, Cebu – A 36-year-old woman who was suffering from a nervous breakdown, ended her miseries by jumping off the Marcelo Fernan Bridge, the second bridge that links mainland Cebu to the island of Mactan. An ice cream vendor said he saw Dimpas strolling on the pedestrian side of the bridge and did not notice anything wrong until he saw her suddenly jump off the bridge, prompting him to shout for help. Police investigators said the woman was a regular visitor to the Pajara Park, located underneath the Marcelo Fernan Bridge. (Mars W. Mosqueda Jr.)