Zamboanga Crisis Timeline
October 12, 2012 – The Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro (FAB) signed in Malacañang Palace, which creates an autonoumous political entity named Bangsamoro, replacing the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) described as president Benigno Aquino III as a “failed experiment.”
October 22, 2012 – Nur Misuari calls for a summit for his MNLF followers shortly after the signing of the FAB, stating that “armed struggle as an option is always there.” During the summit, Misuari called the FAB unacceptable, and that it could be the cause for a war in the south.
“Of course we cannot accept it. It would be another recipe for war,” Misuari said.
Not all of Misuari’s men have followed their leader’s call – earlier in the same month, the Natonal Securiity Command Outer 12 declared full support for the FAB.
August 12, 2013 – Nur Misuari declares indepence of the “Bangsamoro Republik”, a federal state with Misuari as head in Talipao, Sulu. The Bangsamoro Republik encompasses Mindanao, Sulu, Palawan as well as parts of Sabah and Sarawak, in Malaysia.
The Philippine government has refused to recognize the Bangsamoro Republik, with President Aquino saying that there is only one legitimate government in the Philippines. Immediately after declaring the indepence of his state, sedition charges were being readied against Misuari.
Sept. 9, 2013
1:45 a.m. -Initial clash between government forces composed of the Navy’s elite Special Operations Group (NAVSOG)and Moro rebels belonging the faction of former MNLF chair Nur Misuari occurs off the coast of Barangay Rio Hondo according to the AFP. One Navy man was killed, while 6 others were wounded in the initial clash.
4:00 a.m. – Government forces are able to cordon the barangays of Rio Hondo, Sta. Barbara and Talon-Talon, where the rebels are holed up.
9:00 a.m. School and work have been suspended in the area because of the fighting. All civilian flights to the Zamboanga airport have been cancelled. Military flights to the area is still ongoing.
The government has nabbed 10 MNLF rebels, five of whom were armed with hi-powered firearms.
10:30 a.m. – The spokesman for the MNLF, Emmanuel Fontanilla, said that despite reports, it was the gov’t that first fired on MNLF troops that were simply securing the area for the arrival of their chairman, Nur Misuari, and stated that they are now currently on a “defensive position”.
11 a.m. – The Zamboanga City PIO announced that 20 people have been taken hostage in Sta. Catalina and 200 people have been taken hostage at Kasanyangan Village.
Photos of the hostages in the crisis have been shared online by Twitter user @cq1016, showing them bound by ropes together surrounded by gunmen holding flags of Misuari’s Bangsamoro Republik.
12 noon – According to the AFP, MNLF gunmen have attempted to use civilians as human shields.
Four people have been killed in the clash – two from the government side and two MNLF rebels. 10 gov’t troops have been wounded, while 11 MNLF personnel have been wounded or detained.
4:00 p.m. Defense Secretary Voltaire Guzman and DILG Secretary Mar Roxas arrives in Zamboanga.